What is the Early College Program?
Early College is a competitive admissions program comprised of a cohort of qualified high school juniors and seniors who are enrolled in a two-year associate degree program.
Students in the Early College Program
- Complete transferrable general education courses including:
- Biology and/or Chemistry
- Humanities and Fine Arts
- Social Sciences
- Follow the CVCC academic calendar
- Satisfy associate degree and high school diploma requirements through dual enrollment
- Graduate with their associate degree prior to graduation from high school
- Transfer to four-year colleges and universities to complete a bachelor’s degree.
Why consider the Early College Program?
The Early College Program
- Allows students to earn high school and college credit simultaneously.
- Eliminates the duplication of courses taken in high school and college.
- Affords students the opportunity to explore different fields of study prior to declaring a major.
- Engages students in challenging and rigorous course work alongside a cohort of like-minded students.
- Enables students to earn up to 60 transferrable credits toward their four-year degree
- Lowers the cost of a postsecondary education
- Helps students gain important college and professional success skills while still in high school.
Who is eligible for the Early College Program?
Students must meet the basic criteria listed below to apply for the program. Additionally, most students accepted into the program have completed high school honors and/or AP classes, have been involved in numerous extracurricular activities, and have demonstrated excellence and integrity during their high school years.
Basic requirements and expectations
- Rising high school Junior
- Minimum high school GPA 3.0
- Completion of Geometry and Algebra II or higher
- High school guidance counselor and teacher recommendations
- Excellent attendance record
- Strong work ethic
- Parental permission
How to apply for the Early College Program?
- Explore you school district’s information and program of study
- Contact your high school guidance counselor
- Complete the online Early College Program application
- Complete the Central Virginia Community College application