Skip to main content


Start transfer planning today!

Check out Virginia's new Transfer Portal!


Guaranteed Admissions Agreements are between colleges and universities and the Virginia Community College System (VCCS).

Articulation Agreements are guaranteed admission agreements between CVCC and participating colleges and universities.

Averett University

Bluefield State College

University of Lynchburg

Old Dominion University

Co-Enrollment Programs allow students to be dually enrolled at both CVCC and their desired local 4-year institution.

Liberty University

Randolph College

Sweet Briar College

University of Lynchburg

We applaud your educational ambition and hope we can play a role in helping you achieve your goals.  As a CVCC student, you will have the advantage of multiple transfer opportunities. For specific questions, please contact your counselor.

Va Transfer Passport Program

The Passport is a set of courses which are transferable and satisfy lower-division general education requirements at participating Virginia public institutions of higher education. The Passport consists of course blocks that are assigned specific courses.

Plan Ahead!

Transferring can be an overwhelming process, but it doesn't have to be. Start early and create a support network. Schedule an appointment with a CVCC counselor, reach out to a representative at each four-year college or university to which you are interested in transferring, and start networking! By starting this process early and utilizing your support network often, your transfer will be a seamless and successful one!
The following points are intended to help you as you make your way through your education at CVCC with the intention of transferring. To discuss specific questions and concerns, it is highly recommended that you make an appointment with a counselor.
  • Every four-year college and university differs. Some courses or credits may transfer to one college but not to another. Making your decision early will help ensure you are taking the right classes.
  • Do as much research as possible on the college or university you want to attend, and on the major you will be pursuing. Review the four-year college's catalog and visit their website for more information, particularly their admissions, transfer, and programs of study pages.
  • Earning an associate degree may qualify you for Guaranteed Admissions Agreements and Articulation Agreements as well as the Two-Year College Transfer Grant. It may also waive the general education requirement at the four-year school.
  • Take advantage of transfer events each semester including transfer fairs and individual college visits.
  • It is also a good idea to network with others in your field of interest and conduct informational interviews or "shadow" individuals in the field if possible.
  • Have a backup plan. This is helpful so in case you change your mind or your plans change the process will still be a seamless one.