Frequently Asked Questions
What happens after I turn in my graduation application?
  • You will receive a Graduation Application Review Sheet listing your remaining course requirements (if any) within 15 business days of receipt of your graduation application. Peak periods may be longer.
  • All qualified candidates will receive an attendance verification email in March.
What is a Graduation Application Review?

This review outlines any outstanding requirements needed to complete your program and confer your degree. If you have questions regarding your requirements, please contact the Graduation Coordinator.

What if I am taking courses at another institution to fulfill some of my degree requirements at CVCC?

You should note on the Graduation Application any course(s) that you plan to take at another institution in order to fulfill graduation requirement(s). Courses taken at another Virginia Community College do not require transcripts, however you must notify the Graduation Coordinator once your grades have posted. If the institution is outside of the Virginia Community College System, official transcripts should be sent to the Office of Admissions & Records upon completion of the course(s) and students must complete a request for transcript evaluation form. Note that only grades of "C" or higher will transfer.

Can I apply to receive a certificate or career studies certificate while I am pursing an associate degree?

Yes, eligible students may obtain a certificate while pursuing an associate degree. Students should remain in their associate degree plan and submit an application to graduate with the chosen certificate. Financial aid students should check with the Financial Aid Office to be sure that their funds will not be affected. If you wish to graduate from both the certificate program and the associate degree program in the same semester, you must complete a graduation application for each program.

If I move, change my name, or change my phone number what should I do?

If you change your address or phone number, you should notify the Graduation Coordinator. This will ensure that all mailings, including commencement information and diploma pick-up, reach you in a timely manner.

If your name changes you must submit a Student Records Change form to the Graduation Coordinator. You will need to present a valid driver's license, marriage/divorce decree, social security card or documentation from the court showing the name change.

How will I be notified about commencement?

All graduation updates will be sent to your student email account. If you marked "yes" to participating in the commencement ceremony, you will receive an e-mail in March. Degrees are posted after each semester; however, CVCC holds only one commencement ceremony each May. Students can view details on purchasing caps, gowns and announcements, as well as other pertinent information on this website.

If I participate in the ceremony in May and I'm a spring graduate, will I receive my diploma at the ceremony?

No. Graduates will receive a leather bound diploma cover. All diplomas are ordered after grades are posted and graduation status is confirmed. Spring diplomas are ordered in June after all degrees have been conferred. You will receive a diploma cover upon crossing the stage at commencement.

How long does it take to receive my diploma?

Degrees are posted after the semester has ended, grades are received, and course substitution forms or transfer courses are reviewed. It can take 6-8 weeks to post all degrees after the term ends. After this process is complete, the Office of Admissions and Records orders the diplomas and notifies graduates when diplomas will be available for pick up via e-mail. You must show a photo ID to receive your diploma.

What happens if I do not pick up my diploma?

If you do not pick up your diploma within the designated timeframe, it will be held in the Office of Admissions and Records. While we take every precaution to ensure the optimum condition of your diploma, we cannot guarantee its condition once it has been forwarded to the U.S. Postal Service.

Can someone else pick up my diploma?

If you would like another individual (designee) to pick up your diploma, you must provide a written letter of permission to that person. This document must include your printed name, signature, student ID, date, name of your designee, and nature of the request (giving your designee permission to pick up your diploma). When picking up the diploma, your designee will need to present the letter of permission and show a photo ID.

What if I need proof of graduation prior to receiving my diploma?

Using the Student Information System, view an unofficial transcript to verify your degree has been posted. If it has been posted you may request an official transcript to show proof of graduation. If your degree has not been posted contact the Graduation Coordinator.

If I am unsuccessful with my graduation attempt, do I complete another application to apply for a future semester?

Yes, you are responsible for submitting a new graduation application reflecting the semester in which you plan to complete your degree requirements. If you are a spring candidate who has withdrawn from your coursework and will no longer be eligible to graduate, please inform the Graduation Coordinator so that your name will be removed from the list for commencement mailings and required institutional assessments.

If I am a summer graduate, can I march in the ceremony in May prior to my graduation?

Yes. If you are completing your courses during the summer semester (May-August), you are eligible to participate in the May ceremony. Summer graduation candidates must meet the February deadline for submitting your Graduation Application.

Is it possible to obtain an additional degree or certificate after I have already completed one?

If you wish to earn an additional degree or certificate, the Virginia Community College system mandates that your prior program and current program differ by at least 25 percent worth of credits. This means that 25 percent of your new curriculum must be satisfied by courses that were not used in awarding your prior degree or certificate.

How can I order a replacement Diploma?

If you want to order a replacement diploma, you will need to complete the duplicate diploma request form to the Admissions & Records Office. After all of the necessary information has been received, your order will be placed at the end of the next graduation cycle.

How can I request to have my diploma Mailed?

Students that are unable to pick up their diploma can complete the Request to Have Diploma Mailed Form located on the graduation website. This form must be submitted to the Office of Admissions & Records prior to the end of the semester in which they wish to graduate. Requests received after that time may have a delayed mailing time depending on when the form is received.