Frequently Asked Questions
Will CVCC hold a commencement ceremony this year?

Yes! Virtual commencement ceremonies will be held separately for the Class of 2020 and the Class of 2021. CVCC has partnered with a company called Full Measure to provide a robust Graduation Celebration Experience online. The ceremonies will be pre-recorded and will be made available for streaming in May 2021. The Class of 2020 ceremony will be streamed beginning at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, May 11, and the Class of 2021 ceremony will begin streaming at 7 p.m. on Thursday, May 13. Both ceremonies will be available for viewing on-demand after the initial ceremony dates.

Unfortunately, there will not be an in-person graduation ceremony held this year.

How can I participate in the commencement ceremony?

All candidates must submit a graduation application regardless of whether or not participation in the ceremony is desired. Graduates who have applied for graduation by Thursday, April 8, 2021 will receive a text message on or after Friday, April 9, 2021 containing a link graduates can use to submit their photo and information for inclusion in the ceremony. All candidate information must be received by Friday, April 16, 2021. If a graduate does not submit a photo and information, only a name, program(s), and placeholder photo will be displayed during the ceremony.

Will any other graduation events be held?

Yes! CVCC is happy to announce that we will be hosting a Parade of Graduates on Wednesday, May 12, 2021, from 6:00 - 7:30 p.m. During this time, graduates and their families are invited to join the parade lineup beginning in the lower student parking lot (Lot 1) of the main CVCC campus in Lynchburg. All graduates from the class of 2020 and 2021 are invited along with their family and friends. All participants must remain in their cars at all times as they proceed through the parade route on campus. CVCC faculty, staff, and administrators will line the parade route to congratulate and cheer on our graduates. You may wear your CVCC graduation regalia or college colors if you wish.

There will be no diplomas or diploma cases distributed at this event. All diplomas and cases will be mailed directly to graduates according to the timeline below.

What happens after I turn in my graduation application?
  • You will see an application confirmation appear on your screen.
  • It is your responsibility to check your degree program completion with your counselor/advisor.
  • You will receive further information via email and text regarding the virtual commencement ceremony.
What if I am taking courses at another institution to fulfill some of my degree requirements at CVCC?

You should note on the Graduation Application any course(s) that you plan to take at another institution in order to fulfill graduation requirement(s). Courses taken at another Virginia Community College do not require transcripts, however you must notify the College Registrar once your grades have posted. If the institution is outside of the Virginia Community College System, official transcripts must be sent to the Admissions & Records Office upon completion of the course(s). Delays may cause your graduation to be pushed to a future term.  Note that only grades of "C" or higher will transfer.

Can I apply to receive a certificate or career studies certificate while I am pursing an associate degree?

Yes, eligible students may obtain a certificate while pursuing an associate degree. Students should remain in their associate degree plan and submit an application to graduate with the chosen certificate.  If you wish to graduate from both the certificate program and the associate degree program in the same semester, you must list each graduation application for each program.

If I move, change my name, or change my phone number what should I do?

If you change your address or phone number, you should notify the College Registrar. This will ensure that all mailings, including commencement information and diploma mailing, reach you in a timely manner.

If your name changes you must submit a Student Records Change Form to the Admissions and Records Office. You will need to present a valid driver's license, marriage/divorce decree, social security card, or documentation from the court showing the name change.

How will I be notified about commencement?

Graduation updates will be sent to your student email account and via text. Degrees are posted after each semester; however, CVCC holds only one commencement ceremony each May. Students can view details on purchasing caps, gowns and announcements, as well as other pertinent information on this website.

Am I required to purchase a cap and gown?

No. The commencement ceremony will be virtual, so graduates are not required to purchase academic regalia. The CVCC Bookstore does have a full range of academic regalia, announcements, and keepsakes available for the Class of 2020 and the Class of 2021. If you wish to purchase these items, please visit the CVCC Bookstore.

How long will it take for my degree or certificate to be conferred?

Degrees are posted after the semester has ended, grades are received, and course substitution forms or transfer courses are reviewed. It can take 6-8 weeks to post all degrees after the term ends. 

When will I receive my diploma and diploma case?

Typically, diploma cases are distributed at the graduation ceremony. Since our ceremonies will be virtual this year, we will be direct mailing all diplomas and cases (1 per graduate) to the student address on file in SIS. Graduates can expect to receive these according to the following timeline:

Graduation Term Diplomas Shipped Diploma Case Shipped
Class of 2020 Already shipped August 2021
Fall 2020 Already shipped August 2021
Spring 2021 August 2021 August 2021
Summer 2021 October 2021 October 2021

*Please keep your mailing address up-to-date in SIS to prevent any delays in receiving your diploma(s) and case.

What if I need proof of graduation prior to receiving my diploma?

Using the Student Information System, view an unofficial transcript to verify your degree has been posted. If it has been posted you may request an official transcript to show proof of graduation. If your degree has not been posted, contact the College Registrar.

If I am unsuccessful with my graduation attempt, do I complete another application to apply for a future semester?

Yes, you are responsible for submitting a new graduation application reflecting the semester in which you plan to complete your degree requirements. If you are a spring candidate who has withdrawn from your coursework and will no longer be eligible to graduate, please inform the College Registrar so that your name will be removed from the list for commencement mailings and required institutional assessments.

If I am a summer graduate, can I participate in the ceremony in May prior to my graduation?

Yes. If you are completing your courses during the summer semester (May-August), you are eligible to participate in the May ceremony. Summer graduation candidates must meet the March deadline for submitting your graduation application.

Is it possible to obtain an additional degree or certificate after I have already completed one?

If you wish to earn an additional degree or certificate, the Virginia Community College System mandates that your prior program and current program differ by at least 25 percent of credits. This means that 25 percent of your new curriculum must be satisfied by courses that were not used in awarding your prior degree or certificate.

How can I order a replacement diploma?

If you want to order a replacement diploma, you will need to complete the duplicate diploma request and submit the form to the Admissions & Records Office. After all of the necessary information has been received, your order will be placed at the end of the next graduation cycle.  There is a $15 fee for this service.

How can I register as CVCC alumni?

Please register with our online CVCC Alumni & Friends database.